Scott's MD-PhD Adventure

Thursday, November 22, 2007

Finicky Parents: Day4

Rubbers


We were leaving to go up to Steve&Shane's for Thanksgiving. My dad was finding his shoe protector things that he puts on his sneakers to keep them warm and walk in the snow.
Dad: Do you think they'll care if I wear my rubbers?
Me: Huh?
Dad: My rubbers! For my shoes! Will I look weird?
Me: If I say yes, aren't you going to wear them anyway?
Dad: Yes.
Me: Ok. Well then go ahead.

Yes Or No


On the train going up there
Dad: When you're done, are you going to do research?
Me: Why do you often ask yes or no questions, when the answer is somewhere in between?
Dad: It's a simple question!
Me: Well the answer is yes, eventually I'll do research when I finish, but immediately after I finish, probably not. Does that mean I should have said yes or a no?
Dad: Forget it! You live in another world!

Finicky


Mom: I'm excited to meet Shane's dog!
Me: Yes, and Shane took some cute pictures with the dog.
Dad: Is Shane finicky?
Me: What?
Dad: *louder* Is he finicky!
Me: I have no idea what that means.
Mom: Jer, I don't know what you mean either.
Dad: Finicky!
Me: Yes, you said that.
Dad: I knew this beautician, Steve, and he was finicky.
Mom: He cut your hair.
Dad: No he didn't!
Mom: I thought he did.
Dad: No, Val, he didn't. That was someone else
Mom: What was his name?
Dad: I can't remember his name!
Me: Was he finicky too?
Dad: Anyway, Steve, he used to, when I was having my hair cut by...Frank! His name was Frank!
Mom: That's right!
Dad: When I had my hair cut by Frank, he used to stop and tell me to turn around and watch Steve. Steve would drop a comb in some guy's lap, and then reach down and try to grab it and feel around and touch him.
Me: Ok?
Dad: It was a riot. Frank would laugh at Steve and get a kick out of what he did.
Me: Ok?
Dad: So is Shane finicky!?!
Me: I don't understand. Whatever you mean by finicky, I don't think that's Shane.

At the house


My dad got in the house, removed his rubbers, and spent time in the TV room, which was coincidentally the coldest room in the house. He eventually had to ask Steve for a NorthFace jacket to wear around the house. He wore it during dinner, which was in the living room attached to the kitchen, with 30 people and an oven on all day. He complained throughout dinner and after about how it was freezing and he was cold. He had my mother close a window, without asking anyone else for permission, even though it had to be at least 75 if not higher inside.
He also played hide&seek with the children, ages 3-7. None of the kids knew who he was.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home