Scott's MD-PhD Adventure

Monday, November 19, 2007

Infinite Loop: Parents Day 1

Here are today's topics...they sound like song names on an album lol.

Arrival Gifts


They walked in about 7pm.
Dad: Your door is open!
Me: Yes, it was not fully shut. I knew you were coming.
Dad: That's not safe!
Me: It's fine.
They trample through with their shoes on, rolling the suitcases and messing up the rugs.
Me: Remember we take our shoes off?
Mom: Yes we know.
Dad: *whispering* Val...cold...what do I do?
Mom: *whispering* You ask him!
Dad: Scott! Can I walk around in shoes? I just bought them at that shoe store. They aren't dirty.
Me: There's this thing called slippers. Do you not have them?
Dad: Can I borrow some!
Me: Sure.
My mother unpacks all of the gifts for us, immediately, while Mike was putting our soup in bowls to eat. We get 2 free orange athletic hats, a medium and a large free asics shirt, a box of chocolate covered macadamia nuts that someone gave them ("you like fancy and exotic things!"), a fleece blanket ("in case your guests are cold because you didn't have enough blankets last year"), and a "Spirit of America" LunaCandle (came as a free sample) that she wasn't sure if she could give it to Steve&Shane for a hostess gift.
Light up your life with a color changing candle powered by Luna Candle. Enjoy the experience of this exclusive and unique technology.
Our Candles create instant ambiance and atmosphere in any room of a home, restaurant, bar, nightclub, spa or boutique.
Warmth, style, romance, and spirit – experience the Luna Candle Difference.

We suggested no on the candle gift.
Me: Is dad eating?
Mom: He had food at the airport.
Me: When you got here?
Dad: At 12! Before we left.
Me: That's your meal for the day?
Dad: No! I had breakfast!

Weather, Weather Channel, Tivo


Dad: Scott I wanna get the weather! How do I turn the TV on?
Me: Can you wait till after dinner?
Dad: No! I have to find out if it's gonna snow on Thursday.
I turn on the TV and we sit down for dinner. My dad interrupts 4 times to ask how to change the channels, and what kind of cable and tv we have because of our mythtv. He's very confused. This is all amidst shouts of "lousy!" (ESPN), "oh crap!" (Weather Channel), "stupid!" (FoxNews)

Obama, Politics, and FoxNews


Dad: Did you watch the convention?
Us: That's in 2008?
Dad: You know, the debate?
Us: There have been like 47 debates.
Dad: The last Democratic one!
Us: Not really.
Dad: Who do you want to win?
Us: We both like Obama
Dad: Did you read about him?
Us: Not some email forward crap. What are you referring to?
Dad: He's a Muslim!
Us: No, not really.
Dad: He was born Muslim!
Us: Nope, also not true. Let me guess...you're gonna say he went to a madrassa?
Dad: I wasn't gonna say that!
Us: That's the only part that's kinda true.
Dad: Which Republican do you like?
Us: None.
Dad: Do you like Huckabee?
Us: Nope
Dad: How about McCain?
Us: Nope
Dad: Giuliani?!?
Us: Nope. We said none.
Dad: So you like Hillary?
Us: We're not brainwashed by watching FoxNews all day and hearing how Hillary is evil.
Dad: I didn't say she's evil!
Us: Ok. Well FoxNews does.
Dad: That is true. FoxNews is Republican and CNN is Democrat and CNBC is very liberal.

Breakfast


Mom: What do you have for breakfast?
Me: A bunch of things. Lots of fresh local eggs.
Dad: Can I go get something to eat at that Jewish deli at 6am?
Me: Um, ok.
Dad: Are they open?
Me: *checks* they open at 7:30.
Dad: And they're a deli?!?
Me: Yes.
Dad: Alright, I wanna get my lox eggs and onions.
Me: We can make food here.
Dad: You won't be up early enough!

Infinite Loop


Dad: It's going to snow on Thursday, is there any other way we can get up to Steve&Shane's?
Me: There's a bus and a train.
Dad: Well how much are we outside?
Me: 2 blocks to walk to the train.
Dad: That's far! How close is the bus?
Me: Half a block. But you may have to wait 5 minutes.
Dad: That's too long! How much is a cab?
Me: $20
Dad: That's too expensive. How much is the train?
Me: $2, or less if you get a pass. But you have to walk to it.
Dad: What am I supposed to do if it's cold?!?

It's Early Morning and One Person Is Awake


Dad: You know, we know this one guy, he goes to bed at 7pm, and he's up at 3 every morning having a cup of coffee on his porch.
Me: That's crazy.
Dad: Yeah, people in Arizona get up early!
Mike: people?
Dad: Yeah, he'll be on his porch and he has like 5 or 6 friends come over and they have coffee.
Mike: Didn't you just say it was only one person?

The Mattress and The Feet


I blow up the air mattress for my dad at ~10pm with the pummp. My mother sleeps on the black folddown Chiasso couch.
Dad: That's wild!
Me: Ok.
Dad: Is that the same thing I had last year?
Me: Yes.
Dad: Ok, are we going to put it in the same place we had it last year?
Me: I don't remember last year. I know it was in the middle of the floor.

I obtain the sheets and blankets.
Dad: Val! Which blanket did I have last year?
Mom: I think this one Jer.
Dad: Are you sure? I had one for my feet.
Mom: Ok, well try it.
He gets in bed, laying the blankets down.
Dad: No, this isn't on my feet right. Can you try the other one?
Mom: Ok. *rearranges blanket for him, while he lies in bed*
Dad: Yes! That was the one I had last year. Oh is that good for my toes!

The City at Night


Mike and I decide to go get their 5day CTA cards at Jewel at 10:15. We call to make sure that they have them. Then we go put our shoes on, and tell them what they are doing as they lie in the living room in the dark.
Us: We're going to get your train cards
Mom: It's late!
Dad: Where are you going?
Us: The store
Mom: How far is that!
Dad: How long does that take?
Us: A few blocks. 15 minutes
Mom: I will give you money!
Dad: That's a bad neighborhood.
Us: Fine, thank you. No, it's not.
Dad: Isn't it cold out?
Us: No, it's not.
Dad: Are they open?
Us: Yes, we called.
Mom: So you both are going to walk there now?
Us: Yes!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home