Scott's MD-PhD Adventure

Thursday, August 26, 2004

Track 2: Shake Your Gluteus Maximus

Didn't go to ECM today. Again, didn't miss much either. I don't really need to hear about malpractice issues.

Enzyme kinetics was alright. Geneice and I chilled in the last row during biochem. Physio was ok too, it's our last day of Mo Rocca. :(

So during "lunch" I gave my practice presentation. It didn't go well :( I really wasn't prepared and I knew that. The slides weren't that great and I don't really know what I'm saying. My sore throat didn't help either. I didn't even get to finish or eat lunch since I had to be back for anatomy class. Oh well. I emailed that I'm bailing out of my presentation this weekend. No point in me talking next to 6 other upper level graduate students when I have no data and no idea what's going on.

Anatomy was alright. We did covered the gluteal region - bones, muscles, nerves, joints, veins, arteries. Our prof is funny: "If you need to ask other people for practice finding where the bones protude, I'm sure someone will help a poor M1 student and serve as a model for you. You can probably use your ingenuity and ask to study some other things as well."
Geneice and I decided we are going to make anatomy rap songs to help us remember it all. She's going to be DJ Origin and I'm going to be MC Insertion (if you're clever you'll get these). We'll see how that turns out.

The lab was alright. Our faculty supervisor for the cadavers around me is very low-key, encouraging us not to stress and to go home early and study other things. I'd like to listen to that, but I know anatomy far less than the other subjects. We skinned the whole anterior thigh and leg from pelvis to ankle. Nothing like getting pubic hair stuck in your scalpel and tweezers. I thought it couldn't get worse, but we skinned the gluteal maximus. Cutting a very skinny 90 year old dead, embalmed man did not make that pleasant at all. Whatever, we got it done and I guess it could be worse.

I need to get some sleep tonight so I can feel better for the retreat. The lack of sleep is catching up. :(

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home