Scott's MD-PhD Adventure

Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Day 2: I See Dead People

I have a train friend. We get to the same bench every morning since we've both figured out the car to sit in that stops closest to the steps when we exit.

Another 2 hours of ECM. More "there are health care problems for minorities." I think I'm one of the most liberal and thus the most bored person in there. Yes, black people and hispanics have issues with the health care system. Apparently the family medicine doctor who gave the lecture is a 'mo.
During the second hour, I did the assignment for ECM. I had to write about what culture means to me - both culture of origin and association. I wrote about Jews and homos. Then for my "cross-cultural experience" I naturally wrote about the family reunion (and the watermelons!).

For biochem, we did pH. Yes pH. And we did titration calucations. I swear I've had this lecutre 6 or 7 times already in my life. Oh well, no studying.

Physiology was a bunch of membrane info. Some was new, but I really hope I don't have to remember every single detail they mentioned. The instructor looks and sounds exactly like Mo Rocca which amuses me a lot. Oh, and the bookstore is still out of the notes and book for this class.

Lunch. blah. bought coops for $200 (the notes for every class, hand-delivered to my student mailbox). Don't know how much I'll use them, but for one semester it can't hurt.
Got my locker. too damn far away. it doesn't even come with a lock.

Anatomy. 2 hours of lecture on the back. and bones. and nerves. and joints. oh and muscles too. that ran over. we had a dissection demonstration by a fabulous british woman. This was followed by everyone running up to the locker room, which is like 8 rows of lockers in the center and a men's and women's row behind a door. way too many damn people and we have to share lockers. *eyeroll* of course all our shit didn't fit in one locker. and i didn't have a lock for this either lol.

our randomly assigned groups worked out well. i got a moritician's daughter and a couple people who had taken this before. our cadaver was a 90 year old man who died of larynx cancer. fortunately he was very skinny so we didn't spent too long cutting away fat. it went alright, lots of cleanup just to see the muscles - trapezials, lattisimus dorsi, and rhomboid major/minor. we were one of the first groups out and we left at about 7 (supposed to end at 5:30). I took a shower right away, washed my hands 4 times, and they still smell like formaldehyde.

oh, and the president of GLSMSA doesn't want to be president anymore. so my unofficial 4 days as vp is over and apparently i'm going to be pres. whatever, it will be an excuse not to default to more generic student groups. it's not like i don't have the experience to lead the homo group anyway.

time to review anatomy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home