Scott's MD-PhD Adventure

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Oh this is funny!

My parents get their own switched user on my macbook where I put bookmarks of their sites.

Dad: Can I get my Celtics?
Me: I set up a bookmark for you already. Click the one that says Celtics.
Dad: There's nothing that says Celtics.
Me: Look closer.
Dad: Oh there it is! Val! They lost Posey!
...
Dad: How do I change the thing?
Me: Do you mean you want to go to a different webpage?
Dad: I want to check senior softball
Me: Do you see something already prepared for you that says Senior Softball?
Dad: Let's see...yeah! 
...
Mom: Scott, this computer is so different!
Me: Um, how?
Mom: Oh this is funny...what a funny screen!

They discovered our new Chiasso rug.
Mom: Wow! This rug is nice!
Us: Thanks
Dad: Is it wool?
Me: No. Mike: Yes!
Dad: It's wool?
Me: No. Mike: Of course
Dad: I'm allergic to wool.
Me: Mike, he's allergic to wool. Now that he knows it's wool, he's going to be allergic to it.
Mom: Jer, it's on the floor
Mike: My rug is also allergic to dirt, so please take your shoes off.
...
Dad: *whispers* Ask him!
Mom: Scott, do you think we could maybe put something on the rug under the bed? Or fold the rug over?
Me: Why?
Mom: Your dad is concerned about his allergies
Dad: I don't wanna have problems!
Mom: Maybe if we fold it so the wool isn't facing up.
Me: You're sleeping on a mattress on a rug. I think it'll be fine. Let's try a night and see.

Eating dinner, we explain someone is coming to pick up the couch we were selling online.
Mom: So someone is coming to get it?
Mike: Yup
Mom: Did you sell it on craigslist?
Mike: Yup
Me: What? You know what that is?
Mom: Ha! I name-dropped it cause I thought you'd be proud of me!
Me: I am.
Mom: *giggles*
Me: Aren't you proud of yourself that you know more about the internet than John McCain?
Mom: Haha
Me: Isn't that sad...that you know more about the internet than John McCain?
Dad: Let's not talk about politics!
Me: That's fine. I'm done
Dad: We should not talk about politics
Me: I'm not
Dad: Listen, I could say some things about Obama
Mom: Jerry! stop!
Me: We're not talking about it.

We also informed them about our exciting grocery store trip in our new IGO Car.
Me: We're going to the store at 8:30
Mom: Why such a specific time?
Me: We're driving
Dad: You don't own a car!
Me: I know. We signed up for a carshare
Mom: What's...
Dad: How much!
Mom: that?
Me: It's like a timeshare...but for a car. $25 a year
Dad: Can you get a good one?
Mom: Where do you get it?
Me: It's nearby, and you can pick which one you want from what's in the spots.
...
Me: So this is it
Dad: How much is it for the hour?
Me: Like $6
Dad: That's not so bad! Val! This is wild. I wish we had one of these
Mom: Is there an attendant?
Us: Huh?
Mom: Is there someone to check when you take it in and out?
Me: No. These are just 2 spots with 2 cars from the company.
Dad: Let's go Val! We have to be back by 9:30 so they don't get overcharged.
Mom: If you bring it back early will you get any money back?
Me: No. Not at all.

Finally, back home, even though we now use a projector + mythtv, we set up the regular tv for him to use and gave him the remote for it.
Dad: How do I work this?
Mike: Like a regular remote control. It's a remote control.
Dad: Where's the power button?
Me: The TV is on
Dad: Where's the power button?
Me: Don't you wanna change the channel? We left the TV on for you.
Dad: Where's the power button!! I want to try turning it on and off
Me: Why?
Mike: At the top. It says power.
Dad: I can't see it! I don't have my glasses!
Me: That's not my fault
Dad: Let's see if I can remember the channel numbers. Hmm...
Mom: What number is your thing where I can see all of the channel listings?
Me: The TV guide channel is 96
Dad: Val, tell me which is foxnews
Me: It's in the late 50s or so
Dad: Val, I can't see I don't have my glasses
Mom: Ok I'm looking. 
Me: It's in the late 50s.
*scrolling on screen, slowly*
Mom: Jer, I don't see it
Me: For the third time, it's in the late 50s.
Mom: I didn't see it
Dad: *goes to 50* 50! 51! 52!...60! It's on 60!
Me: I said that
Dad: That's not the late 50s!
Me: OMG. Just watch it and be quiet please.

While he entertained himself, we showed my mother how to use the French Press so they can have coffee in the morning.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home