Scott's MD-PhD Adventure

Saturday, September 25, 2004

Pimp's Elbow

Another week gone. I think that's 6 weeks. Wow it feels like I've been in med school forever.

I know I took a test on monday, and then every day after that I've been focusing on Anatomy. That's the big exam this next monday. 25% of my grade, in a lab component and an MC component.
I was doing some thinking about it. For muscles alone, I have to know the name and action of about 90 muscles. Yes, a muscle can be tagged and I could have to name it. If you would have told me 8 weeks ago I would know the name of 90 muscles, just in the upper and lower extremities, I would have thought you were nuts. This is besides the nerves, arteries, veins, bones,other secondary structures, and clinical correlations of everything. My medical vocabulary has really shot up. Apparently your vocab doubles in your 4 years of med school. I would totally believe that.

One clinical correlation we learned about is called tennis elbow. If you can imagine repeatedly doing backswings in tennis, your get an inflammation. Well the instructor asked what activities involve repeating this motion. Of course tennis and ping pong and others were mentioned. I turned and said quietly to geneice "slapping bitches?" So we laughed, and she decided to rename it "Pimp's Elbow" (leaving golfer's elbow to be renamed ho's elbow - figure that one out on your own).

Last night I was at anatomy lab till 1am! I was there reviewing with others from 3-6, dinner from 6-7, studying the bones with someone from 7-10, and then lab again from 10-1. I still can't believe I did that, or that I have to hit the books in the same amount all weekend. It's not that I don't know it, it's just that the more I say it over and over the more it sticks into long-term memory - which is good for being a doctor, not just for the test. And that's what matters.

Speaking of tests we got our biochem grades back! I got a 94! :) 3 people got 100 so I officially hate them. But whatever it was multiple choice. I never get 100 on that. And I should be doing well since I majored in biochem and all. The class average was about 72 or so. People did well in general which is good. Hopefully I can rock the next one too, although it's less material I've already had before in undergrad.

Mike will be here in one week! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home