Scott's MD-PhD Adventure

Saturday, June 10, 2006

"Cultural Competency"

So among the science-y stuff that I have to know to be a good doctor and pass my test, I also have to learn "cultural competency" which usually consists of a bunch of b.s. things that liberals know already and conservatives never will. I've always maintained that there's a line between learning about other cultures and cultural insensitivity, as evidenced by the following sample question from my USMLE practice test book:

66. Which of the following statements about Native Americans in the United States is true? They
(A) do not have a high suicide rate
(B) do not have a high alcoholism rate
(C) believe that mental and physical illness are interconnected
(D) do not believe in witchcraft
(E) have high socioeconomic status

How is this question anything but offensive?!?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home