Scott's MD-PhD Adventure

Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Spring Classes

Classes started on monday. Here are some updates:

Anatomy is back till march. we're doing head, neck, and a little deep back.

Neuroanatomy till march as well. The computer program "Brainstem" will replace "Histotime." :P

Intro to Molecular Medicine will last the whole semester. So far we've covered transcription and translation. Why? I don't know. If you didn't learn this in high school you shouldn't be in med school.

Nutrition will be till march. One of the nutrition professors (who sounds like Zell Miller!) explained the story of his email address today: "Well I've been teaching here since 1968. In the '80s some friends of mine who sat around and drank beer wanted to make some money for more beer. They figured I was smarter than Jim and Tammy Fae, and since I already talk like I have grits in my mouth, I should be a preacher. I would go to Washington and try to scam them all for some money, and then we'd all buy more beer. So my preacher name was going to be T. Otis since my middle name is Otis. I bet you I'm the only caucasian person named Otis. Well, when I finally had to register for my email address after teaching here for over 20 years, I thought I was making my password, but I was actually making my email address. So if you need to reach me, just email RevTOtis@ "

And last is physiology which continues till may. We start with central nervous system physio, featuring...the super liberal professor for like 5 lectures! Two excellent quotes from today:

"...so the brain uses a lot of ATP. In fact, about 4 x 10^21 molecules of ATP per minute are used. I really can't imagine 4 x 10^21 of anything...except maybe dollars being wasted in this ridiculous war.

"...and that's not really an experiment you want to keep doing becuase you're not going to get any results from it. In fact, as I said when I testified before Congress: You really ought to quit with this Cuba thing...As a scientist, I can't imagine doing the same experiment for 40 years and getting no results. I wouldn't get my grant renewed."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home