Scott's MD-PhD Adventure

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Carmina Burana

Tonight was a free concert at Pritzker pavillion at Millenium Park - Carmina Burana.
Of course I knew nothing about this beforehand, other than someone shouts it in La Vie Boheme...but I went anyway since it's free and I had to read about AID-deficient Hyper-IgM Syndrome.

1) It proceeded to rain, causing me to put away my journal article and sit, with no umbrella. However, I'm pretty sure based on these lyrics that it's just some opera about a guy deflowering his woman after he wins her over.

Mea mecum ludit (My virginity)
virginitas, (makes me frisky,)
mea me detrudit (my simplicity)
simplicitas. (holds me back.)
...
Dulcissime, (Sweetest one! Ah!)
totam tibi subdo me! (I give myself to you totally!)

2) The child in front of us decided it would make faces. The family in this row consisted of 2 white adults, 3 white teenagers, and 3 black children ~ages 3, 5, and 9. Yeah...

3) After the show, there was a GayGames concert, featuring such major celebrities as T.C. Carson. Meanwhile, the San Francisco Gay Men's Chorus sang "It's Raining Men" and "Dancing Queen". Yes, those songs can in fact get gayer. The lesbians sang "Your Women's Bookstore"

4) The highlight of the night was that the songs and talking between them needed not one, but two different sign language interpreters. One seemed to be doing ASL, the other...we don't know. Since it was the international gay games, was this flaming homo signing in spanish also?
Really, I think he was just signing in/translating to gay, because I don't know what word or phrase is signed by putting your open hands one on top of the other on your belly button, and sliding them down to your crotch. Ok, I know what it could mean...but that word or phrase was definitely not in the gospel ensemble singing "anthem of praise"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home